Tent Camping Tips For Fast and Easy Camping Food
Good camping food is worth
its weight in gold. A good meal can be the main event for some camping
trips and it can even increase the morale of everyone when the weather is poor. For our purposes, we consider good camping food to be food that is pretty good eating
and relatively easy to make. Here is our list of items that work well
around the campfire:
1. Hamburgers and hot dogs. This seems to be a staple of any camping trip. I realize this is not true camping food to most purists, but good eating is good
eating.One caveat: keep in mind
that you will likely want to have this meal early on in your trip as the condiments and vegetables may spoil if
you delay eating them for more than a couple of days.
2. MREs. You
can get about 24 meals for around $85 to $95. These are relatively
good to eat as they are similar to food in a can. Also, they are
designed for traveling which works well for your backpack.
3. Freeze dried food. Prices are similar to MREs as they are also a lightweight for carrying in your
4. Canned foods: spaghetti, tamales, ravioli, chili, etc. These are good. The only concern here is a slightly higher weight because of the metal
cans. Still, having a few empty cans can be useful for other purposes
while camping for storing small items or they can be used for target practice if you are a
5. Boxed goods: Raman noodles, macaroni and cheese,
dried rice and noodle dishes, rice a roni. These are really nice
because you can risk smashing these types of packages and not worry about having to clean up a big
6. Breakfast items: pop tarts, cheerios, oatmeal, cream
of wheat, cereal bars. These foods can get you going in the morning
and require limited effort.
7. Trail Food: beef jerky, granola bars, trail mix,
dried fruit (all types). Some might consider these types of items cheating
as you are not really cooking. Regardless, these are great on the
trail and save you time by not having to cook.
8. Snack food: Tuna and crackers, cheese and
crackers. I am not sure why it is but cheese and crackers become an
amazing meal while camping.
9. Food dishes: These examples are great because everyone enjoys them.
a. Taco salad( chips, shredded lettuce, and pinto)
Bread Pizza (Pizza sauce, cheddar or mozzarella cheese, pepperoni, pita bread).
10.Beverage options: Hot chocolate, instant coffee,
instant tea, tang, Gatorade powder. Each of these drinks are good
because they do not contain water. By being in a powder form, they are
easier to carry and you are less worried about spills.
All these types of food are crowd pleasers because:
- They are easy to
- Leave a limited amount
of trash and,
- Are relatively light
Be sure to try a couple of
these out on your next trip. We are sure you will agree these are good
ones. If you are looking for a last minute checklist, check outtent camping tips last